In advertising it seems that anything and everything is okay. Things that in any other situation would be considered morally or ethically wrong etc. but suddenly in advertising it's fine.
What brings about this leetle rant? There is this billboard for the Sun (which I despised before this but now feel that I have even better reason to do so) that reads 'Six Appeal' a shows a photo of a youngish, presumably considered attractive etc. female journalist whose column is found on page six. So innapropriate in my mind, since when it is ok to sell your employees in that fashion?
GLARE
But yes, I think it largely has to do with the audience they cater to (hello semi-nude teenagers in the middle of it) but still, I don't think that should be allowed and I certainly would not be pleased if I was that employee but anyhow.
End rant.
Hermit
4 comments:
advertising is stupid, and corrupt, and annoyingly productive...and for that...I hate it!
That's...really unfortunate. Anytime I need convincing that attitudes haven't changed in the last 40 years, I just look at today's ads. I could go on a huge feminist rant here, but I think I'll leave it for another time.
Perhaps the fact that you noticed and responded to it proves that the ad worked? Although the use of the word 'six' in that context is not particularly witty, I think ads have the potential to be really clever and effective. In fact, at one point, I considered what it would be like to have a job designing ads.
*devil's advocate*
I love some ads, and I would, I think, enjoy working in the ad industry. I would be quite sneakily pervasive, though, and work for greater egalitarianism in gender representation in the media. (Either everyone is exploited, or no one is!)
Post a Comment