Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Travel Tales

So I have little to blog about therefore you get to hear my tres exciting travel experience. Fun fun!
Soo here goes:
My travel plans were as such: fly out of le aiport at 10:20, get to TO at 11:50, fly out of there at 1:00, get home by 3:30. Simple no?
So me gets to airport at about 9:15, less than the suggested 2 hours for international flights but this airport is so dinky that is a complete waste of time. However I quickly learn that there is some new rule that makes you need to be checked in an hour before your flight so I had something like 3 minutes to get checked in before I would technically miss my flight. Anyways, got checked in, all was fine. Get through security no problem and go to gate to wait. Note that there is only one other person waiting, think that is kind of strange but people often meander around so I don't worry about it too much.
10:15 comes around and we have yet to board, in fact nobody is even at the counter, but no big deal, small plane takes about 3 seconds to board. 10:20 and people come off the plane so I figure we are about to board when lady comes over to tell us that yes, there is only two of us on the flight and it will be a smidge because there is some issue with the tires. No problem, we both have connections but there is time. Wait around for quite a while more, nothing, finally at about 11 they make an announcement for all Air Canada people to come down and get a rebooking. Off we go, apparently the tire was seemingly unsafe to land on and so we are being rebooked to the next flight to TO, at 5:30pm. They gives us meal vouchers for lunch and dinner and let us alone to spend fifty bazillion years in the airport.
At about 4:30 or so I notice that the departure time is now 6:30 which cuts my time to catch my connection rather short but no matter I can hustle it. When I get up to go procure some dinner it seems that the departure time has changed again, to one that completely prevents me from making my connection. Talk to people at desk, they have me scheduled for new flight etc etc. so off to go get foods. End up purchasing the most disgusting sandwhich I have ever eaten in my life and I am pretty sure shortened my life span by a good 5 years. (was basically a stale hamburger bun doused in some kind of grease with greasy mushrooms and bell peppers on it sitting in a pool of grease-delicious!) Meander back to gate, see if they have new boarding pass for me and sit around for some more. After several more reincarnations, it is determined our flight will not be leaving until about 9:20, making it impossible to leave TO that night. Grand, way to waste a day. Luckily, since they cancelled our first flight, me and this fellow are entitled to accomodation and mealness from A.C. until they get us to our destinations. So we gets hotel vouchers and breakfast voucher for next morning and leave the airport around 9:30 -12 hours apres I arrived.
Get to TO, follow fellow around as he has hotelness and all already planned out (well actually his dad, apparently he does a bunch of travelling). Get to hotel, have four hours to sleep before needing to get up to go back to airport. Hotel has biggest bed I have ever seen, I swear it could fit four people easy (thinking now that if we ever go on some trip, we must stay at a hotel with beds like this, would be a cinch to smush lots of us in) and tres comfortable.
Little do I know, but back at home parents are in panic-mode. I didn't call them like I was supposed to once I got to TO because me cellphone didn't have service and it was tres late for them so I figured they would be in bed. Notsomuch, they waited up until 4am for me to call, website never updated to say that my flight had landed so they were all wired up ready to call RCMP to have me tracked down etc. See, this is where I get my paranoid tendancies from!
Get up in the morning, waay too early! Head back to airport where I must now source me some foods. Locate reasonable looking foods and go to use me voucher (yay free food!!) but lady gives me ridiculously hard time about it. Also, I am above voucher limit by 20cents so must pay her (how a $4 and an apple comes above $6 is beyond me, oh the magic that is airport food...) then she refuses to take my voucher. Have to go to customer service desk to get a new one, apparently the one I got was the old version that they haven't used in a few years. Go back, by this time my flight is about to board and I have yet to call parents to let them know what flight I am on, procure food (I got a raise! Somehow the limit for breakfast here is $8, of course, the lady doesn't give me my money back, but ah well, 20cents won't kill me, even though I am a complete stinge!!) book it to the gate where they are boarding. Get up to gate, get boarding pass and ask lady if I can make a quick call, 5 minutes! Call parents topspeed, shoof back, get on plane.
Plane ride uneventful, I watched some fairly new movie (can't recall name) about these kids at some Boston university who learn how to count cards to win mucho moneys at gambling. And I find out that I gets free food on the plane aussi!! I am assuming this is courtesy of the tres nice lady back in original airport. Yay nice people, poo to A.C. for not having the vegetarian sandwhich though.
And I am now home, hoorah! And that was insanely long and drawn out, sorry! I actually thought about changing it to point-form but I had already spent such a ridiculous amount of time writing, I ditched that idea so yourwelcome and brownie points for you if you actually read it all!
Hermit

3 comments:

Eve said...

Oh maaaan that sounds like a trying experience. I think my mom may have bitten my head off if I hadn't phoned her though. :P How goes getting ready to leave for Victoria? When are you leaving? Etc, etc.

Wulf said...

I am very impressed with your fortitude and independence. How is you? Have you got my email?

Kesineeee said...

hahahahah!

And ps.
how is Vic? Do you like it????