Friday, September 5, 2014

Halifax!!

So, giving this a go again. First up, chronicles of moving:

September 4, 2014
Well, I made it! I`m writing this from my ‘charging station’ on my kitchen floor (in the dark) after my first day of class. But let’s back up to the beginning.

Monday (travel day): Up bright and early at 5:30. Actually, that’s a lie. I set my alarm for then, but did a bit of snoozing post alarm. Off to the airport with my three suitcases in tow. Three flights and 12 hours later, I arrived in Halifax. Headed off to pick up my rental car which ended up being a swanky soccer mom minivan. Handy given the luggage situation and what was to come! Give apartment superintendent a call before I leave the airport to give him a heads up that I’m on my way. Arrive at apartment and call superintendent, Randy. He answers saying he had just left me a message suggesting that maybe we could give the apartment a walk through and sign papers tomorrow. “Er, well my plan was to crash on the floor of the apartment tonight…” So we head into the office to sign papers, get keys etc. Only to find that the papers seemed to be MIA…

Fast forward through many rounds of paper shuffling in the office and trips to Randy's apartment to see if they were in his personal office. Negatory. Finally, since it appears he would be happy shuffling papers for the rest of the night, I suggest I could give one of the owners a call since he had given me his number in case there were any problems. Randy seems quite reluctant to have that happen but finally he gives owner a call. No answer so he leaves a message and gets started on another round of paper shuffling. Finally the papers get located and I sign lease (for an apartment number (408) that’s different than what I was told in my last email with owner (108) but nevermind). We head upstairs to go check out the apartment. This seems unnecessary to me – at this point I’m not about to turn the place down unless it’s truly a dump. Randy knocks on the door and lo and behold someone answers! It’s probably about 10pm at this point and the girl is in her pajamas and clearly unimpressed. Turns out she isn’t moving out until October. Right. Back down to the office for more paper shuffling. Perhaps I was supposed to be in 108 after all? Paper shuffling ensues. Nope. No indication that 108 has or is about to be vacated. 103, on the other hand, has just been vacated so we head down that way. Initial knock yields success and it is indeed empty when we unlock the door! Success!! Except it appears the power has been switched off. Randy suggests that I could stay there for the night and we could sort things out in the morning. This seems like the best plan so I agree and he goes off to fetch me a flashlight. When he returns and starts talking about how he isn’t really supposed to do this but doesn’t mind if he gets into trouble, I start having second thoughts. What happens if this apartment has been rented out and the owners come in while I’m squatting there etc.? So, we decide it probably makes more sense for me to stay in the hotel down the street for the night and sort things out, hopefully including a hotel reimbursement, in the am.


Drag self down to hotel, get checked in, update parents, start scoping out apartment alternatives online and head to bed.      

No comments: