Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Soy cheese and other musings

So let say, hypothetically speaking, that one was to engage in a quest for soy cheese. It would be reasonable to assume that the individual in question is looking for said product for a variety of reasons with a high probability of an aversion to dairy products being among them. In which case it seems rather backwards for such a product to contain such an ingredient.
Now why would this be of relevance?
Well lets just say that in my recent attempt to remove the vast majority of animal-derived products from my diet, I picked up such a product. After purchasing it, of course, I looked at the ingredients to find an offending ingredient. It is quite frustrating to find dairy in a soy cheese product, and my question is, why? But I digress...

I got my package from CPYB today, hoorah! Now to convince the airport people.

I am actually kind of getting into the schoolwork stuff now. One of my instructors called today and it gave me quite the scare as I submitted the first bit early on and have done zip since then. Fortunately she wasn't calling to ask if I was still planning on doing the course.

The author of this blog I read: www.yarnharlot.ca is most entertaining. Anyhow the other day (okay maybe quite a while ago) she posted about her daughter graduating (well she actually graduated last June but she was going to the formal ceremony thing) and what she wrote about killed me. I present you my favourite bits:
"as the girls get older they hit these milestones that make you heave great sighs of relief. Your daughter turns 16? Awesome. No matter what, she can never be a 15 year old mother. 17? Wicked. She can never be a 16 year old addict. 18? The police can never bring her home charged under the young offenders act"
"last night, we hit a big one. Amanda can never be a high school dropout. Score."
I want to be like that when I am a parent!

Currently I am reading this book called "Sailing With Noah" by the president/CEO of the St. Louis Zoo. Quite good, I recommend. However, the latest section I read was quite intruiging. He was talking about PETA and he got onto the topic of animal 'welfare' vs. animal 'rights' and it basically got down to how so much is interrelated. Okay, of course everything is interrelated, but he was talking about how the plastic shoes that a vegan chooses require oil to be produced which ultimately destroys animals habitats, thus possibly making them go extinct etc.etc. The problem is that it makes it so hard to know what is doing more good.

Anyhow, I shall probably spiel more later as I should really do some schooling here, but yes, I think tis a good read, gives a lot of insight into what zoo's do.
Hermit

1 comment:

Wulf said...

That is why you wear hemp shoes! I love amusing blogs. I sould try to read that one you read, except for I know zilch about knitting. OH WELL.