First up,
Quinoa bread:

I made it largely from the recipe found here http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2005/12/whole-wheat-quinoa-bagettes.html but I changed it up a bit. On it is this fancy vegan peanut butter stuff I found at the evil wal-mart, dark chocolate and white chocolate. They are rather tasty (and now gone *grin*) and I was quite pleased to find something like that there. My ingredients list looked more like this:
1 cup whole, uncooked quinoa
2 cups warm water (about 105F)
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups rye flour
2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp olive oil
Vegan Blueberry Pancakes and Tofu Scramble:

The tofu scramble is just tofu cooked like one would scrambled eggs and I added mushrooms in. The blueberry pancakes were made from this recipe (from herehttp://www.veganconnection.com/recipes/blueberry.htm but I halved it):
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/8 cup rye flour
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup soy milk
1/4 tablespoon egg replacer mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup blueberries
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk and egg replacer and stir just until flour is moistened. Set aside for 5 minutes until the skillet is heated and stir in blueberries right before pouring.Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat; spray lightly with non-stick spray, if necessary. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle, making a few pancakes at a time. Cook until tops are bubbly and bubbles burst; edges will look dry. With pancake turner, turn and cook until undersides are golden. Place on warm platter; keep warm.
Fig Newtons:
This is my happy recipe, I wanted to make them without any refined flour, sugar etc. so I peered at a bunch of different recipes and largely built my own.

Filling:
(based off a recipe from fatfreevegan.com)
Ring of dried figs
4-5 pitted medjool dates
1 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ginger
pinch of nutmeg
Place in food processer and grind to a paste.
Dough:
I cant find the recipe I based it on but I believe it was
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1-2 tsp vegan butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
scant 1/4 cup water
Cut butter into flour and add maple syrup and water to mix into a dough. Split into two portions. Roll 1st portion out into a thin rectangle, spoon fig filling in two lines along dough, place second portion of dough, rolled out, on top, and cut between filling. Pinch the edge of the dough to seal.
Bake in 350-275 oven for 25-30 minues.
Eggless Egg Salad:
This is a rather tres good recipe, and me mere even liked it (although I didnt tell him the main ingredient was tofu, hehe) from here http://www.isga-sprouts.org/ but I did do some altering around but not much.

3/4 package FIRM TOFU
Small onion minced
1 medium carrot, coarsely-grated
1 stalk celery, finely-minced
1 small bell pepper, finely-minced
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup ALFALFA sprouts
Cut the tofu into dice-sized bits. Add onion, carrot, celery, pepper and seeds. Mix gently. Add the mayonnaise (below). Chill. Place Alfalfa Sprouts on wrap, add salad.
The Mayonnaise
1/4 package SOFT TOFU
2 teaspoons Chinese sesame oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Whip the first 5 ingredients in a blender or food processor. Keep the machine going, and gradually drizzle in the oil. When all oil is in you should have a nice, creamy, eggless mayonnaise to add to your eggless egg salad.
Vegan Cinnamon Buns:

Based off recipe from http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33926,00.html
Dough:
1/4-ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm soymilk
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegan butter
egg replacer of one egg
3 1/2 to 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
Filling:
1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for pan
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans (I put them in a chunk of the batter and left the rest of it with just the cinnamon and sugar)
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, and egg replacer. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if desired. Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.
And that is it, I think.
I did make the BBQ ribz today but no picture yet, tis dark out now. I also have plans to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies but its getting kind of late, so it might not happen here tonight.
Anyhew, 2 weeks!! Hooray!
Hermit
1 comment:
That is super awesome. I admire your ability to actually find and try out recipes instead of going the prepackaged direction (as I most definitely would!)I want to try some of that eggless egg salad stuff; it actually amazed me that you could make your own mayonnaise WITHOUT EGGS. Will wonders never cease?
Post a Comment