So, day 1 I flew in crazy early in the morning (my flight left at 6:30am - got picked up at 3:45am, blech!). Got in, Kes and I chatted for a bit and the had a good nap. Heh. I may or may not have gotten very little sleep the night before. (+1 adult point for me) But we had tickets to go see the New York City Ballet in the evening so we got up and at em to get ready for that.
The show was also part of this artist collaboration thing they do so there was an art installation in the lobby that you could view either before or after the show. We opted to go early to see it before the ballet and it was so neat to see up close! I had seen a video preview of the work beforehand but there is so much detail you can't really see from photograph or video (which makes me sad - I took a ton of pictures but they don't really do it justice).
But here is the video showing how he made the installations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tVf2IXvsQ4
And a few of the crap ton of pictures I took there. You can't see all the little tiny pictures and paint bits that make up each of the people though. It was SO cool to see all the tiny bits and since you could see them from both the back and the front you could tell that he had put thought in what direction to face the images etc. Kind of boggles my mind.
This is a close up of the front torso bit. So much detail!!
And here you can see how they looked from the side. You could see how each glass layer contributed to the total front/back view. Really neat!
The actual show was also excellent. It was made up of three pieces by the same choreographer, George Balanchine. Anyway, it was fun to see dancers that I've heard of for years in performance! Er, and see a couple of the girls (several years younger than me..) from when I danced in the states who are now in the company. The building is beautiful too! Ha, though part of a pretty big conglomerate of buildings that is the Lincoln Centre so we had some troubles finding the theatre.
The fancy fountain outside the Lincoln Centre.
No comments:
Post a Comment