So this is my 100th post, how fancy.
I have deemed it fitting to be a post of randomness since that is basically what the blogposts on here generally are. So, for your entertainment, I list for you most excellent sports!
1) Shin Kicking, originated in England (how come they have all the great ideas?) and is still played today. Involves kicking the opponents shins until they fall down in pain. However, you are allowed to stuff your pantlegs with straw to protect yourself. I am a fan!
2) Hornussen, played in Switzerland. I am not entirely sure of how it works but basically this small ball is launched into the air towards the team of players who are all holding placards on sticks. The object is to hit the hornuss (the ball) with your placard, however it appears that generally folks have difficulty spotting the hornuss until it is dangerously close to them, at which point they opt to drop their placard and just run away. Sounds like great useless fun!
3) Dwile Flonking, originating in Kent. This is a drinking game where one person stand in the middle of a circle of people. The person in the middle has a rag soaked in beer on a stick and is spinning in one direction, the circle around rag-person is dancing around in the opposite direction and the middle person attempts to flog outer people with the rag. If he misses, he must drink a chamber pot full of beer. I believe the game generally peters off when people are too inebriated to do anything much of use. Sounds like it would be hilarious to watch.
4)Bossaball, originally from Belgium but is played elsewhere in Europe as well. Similar to volleyball but is played on an inflatable court and right in front of the net is a trampoline. One person is on the trampoline and other member of team are around, trying to set up the ball for the trampoline person to bump over the net, with fancy trampoline enhanced tricks! I want to find a place to play this! Sure beats volleyball in gym class!
Anyhow, there is your useless information for today, enjoy!
Hermit
P.S. When is everyone coming back for leholidays? I wish to commence planning of things. Also, to me roomies, I miss you! (and everyone else), please drink zee soymilk I left and if you dont use up that squash on the counter, could you stick it in the basement (on that dresser or something) Methinks it might last a bit better down there.
4 comments:
HAHAHHA I want to try all of those sports, baahahaha. So good. I MISS YOU TOOOO! I will be home on the 19th! Will do to both of your requests! I can't wait for school to be le over for the holidays!
Good list! I didn't know about most of them, except shin kicking. Shin kicking, also called hacking, began as a sport for upper class boys to show off their manlihood, and it was a common practice to affix metal bars to the toe of the boot. Popular culture class for you. I didn't know it was still played, though. We were champs in grade school. I kinda want to play that beer rag game, except maybe without the drinking. I am home on the 11th!
This comment is going to be pretty impersonal, but I wanted to send it to you anyways! In case you didn't know about it already, February 1st is Hourly Comic Day--where you chronicle your life, as it happens, every hour. (for the rcord, that doesn't mean "every hour on the hour"--If you wake up at 6:30 in the morning, do a comic sometime before 7, then another sometime before 8, and so on until the day is done). Also, don't be concerned about aesthetics. This is about documentation! Personally, I'd like to see all my pals participate, so we can each get an intimate glimpse into one day of each others' lives.
UPDATTTTTTEEEEEEE!!!
Post a Comment