So, you get to experience my, somewhat poorly documented, trip. Or glaze over the blabbing, skim the pictures and move onto something more meaningful/useful...
So, transportation, a two hour ferry ride (wherin I miss the bus to take me to the ferry I originally intended to go on courtesy of me staying up too late, er early, the previous night, but anyways...)
Once I got to Vancouver, well Richmond, you take a bus/skytrain (which are super by the way) to Vancouver, which basically got me right downtown. I headed to the nearest free venue, called LiveCity Yaletown, where I got to stand in line to get in (and then be subjected to airport style security) Fortunately they had entertainment for folks waiting in line:
I also attempted to see the athletes village, however it was supposedly super secure etc. so I peered at it from this bridge that was supposed to be the best place to actually see it:
And this is the part where it started to get dark and my camera had a hissy fit about not enough light and commenced with the blurry pictures. Enjoy! :)
I meandered over to BC Place, which is where the medal ceremonies happen and the hockey games occur. The day I was there was a game between Canada and Russia. Thats BC Place in the first picture, and the stadium in the second, they are possibly the same building, or just right beside eachother.
A bit down the street from Alberta house was this thing called the Bell Ice Cube, also didn't go in so I'm not sure what they had inside but they did have these huge spotlights outside that they swung around that lit up the sky, alas, camera didn't like my attempts to photograph that.
I came across some more street performers in my meanderings. These folks were having fun playing with burning batons. One girl actually lit herself on fire (by accident, but it got put out pretty quick) but all in all it was spiff. In the second picture, one fellow had this stick with the olympic rings balanced on his nose, and the girl came over and lit them on fire. He vamoosed around with them for a bit longer.
And yes, that pretty much sums it up. On the ferry ride back I found out that they have TVs at one of the seating areas, so they were broadcasting the Olympics, another hockey game, and it was a super ending to my Olympic-filled day, sitting there watching with all these other people. Its amazing the energy you can get just from being around a bunch of people who are super into it!
2 comments:
oh my GOODNESS, that sounds incredible!! I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish I could have gone with you, holy crap. That all looks amazing!
I FORGOT TO SAY HOW AWESOME THIS IS AND HOW JEALOUS I AM SO I AM DOING IT NOW GO CANADA
Post a Comment