Friday, December 18, 2009

Festive Apartment a la Hermit

I was all ready to come here with a cautionary tale and a pretty picture to back it up, but my bruising capabilities let me down. Suffice to say, vamoosing around in your apartment living room rehearsing Spanish-style turning and jumping is not the wisest plan, particlarly around a steel-framed futon.

In other news, I am fading fast here, two more days before my biology final exam and I am SO over studying, but there is a ton of information and nasty super specific stuff that needs to get jammed into my brain before then. Bah. Ah well, after that, two days and I am home! :) Can't believe it's almost Christmas already, this year has really flown by.
Since I need to have a festive house for festive times, I have holidayed up le apartment. I took pictures for all to see so I have some maybe kind of interesting things to share. Enjoy!

Le Tree. I am pretty proud, found this on half price at Canadian Tire and then used moocho Canadian Tire moneys (which was kind of embarrasing, since counting out $17 worth of money in things like five cents takes a while) so it really wasn't a huge expense and let me have a tree! :) I would have gone with a live one but apparently they aren't allowed in my apartment building, lame, I know.

A wreath that hangs in the middle of my sliding doors. This be all free. Greenery stolen from our float once it was taken apart. Base was an old wire hanger and I was given the Nutcracker. Hooray, now lets just pretend it is actually round and evenly shaped...


More theived greenery. I didn't have anything to stick in the middle, so used the Christmas card mere sent me. Note the strategic cropping out of major disaster in the bookshelf underneath it.

A topper on top of this cabinet I have in my living room. Cedar, lights that I had from home and some ornaments that I didn't put on my tree. See, I had this issue with the ornaments; they don't come with hooks attached and I had a tough time finding any but I was getting impatient to decorate me tree so I started improvising. This involved cutting the wire out of those twist ties you get at the grocery store for your bulk food and bending it into hooks, so my ornaments were limited to the number of ties I had. Thus, the extras get to live on my cabinet.
Oh, and some randomness to finish up here. I occassionaly peruse the blog of a romance author (however, I have never read any of her books, found her through her daughter's site, who has interests much more in tune with mine) which is often a good read. I also figure that maybe if I read a bunch of stuff my talented writers, some of it will rub off on me. Here are two posts of hers that I have really enjoyed and thought you might too: Literary Insults and one on her process of developing realistic characters and the inadvertent trauma of her local library volunteers in the process. Actually, Jo and Kes, you folks and your mom might like her stuff if you haven't read it already... although beats me really, but I figure #1 New York Times Bestseller has to count for something, no?

Hermit

P.S. I need a male name that is on par with Grizelda and I am coming up short. My party parent self has been christened that and my husband needs an equally charming one, anybody?

2 comments:

Wulf said...

Uh, your bruise story makes me wince inside. That is terrible.
What is not terrible is your decorating job! That is amazing. Your tree is like a billion times better than my Lethbridge one. I am also impressed by your wreath making skills. And as for names :

Clarence
Reginald
Percival
Horace

Redcard Sanchez said...

I think your husband's name should end in -worth, like Bodsworth or Farnsworth.